Tuesday, April 22, 2008
BNW vs. Today
Although BNW seems starkly different from society today, there are many scary ideas and topics that are still similar between these two societies. One of these disgusting similarities is the use of helicopters (can you say repulsive?). The advancement of technology in today's society mimics the technology in BNW as well. Today, we are at the verge of genetically selecting our offspring by filtering sperm. Also, the advancement of medically-available drugs can somewhat mimic the idea of soma. Anti-depressants are being developed so addiction is not possible (just like soma) as well as limiting any side effects. Sex in society has grown towards BNW standards and drastically away from society in the 1930s. Due to the free market both in today and in BNW, consumer goods have nearly defined society via political influence, day-to-day life, and the mentality of success through material. Also, the social mentality is for security rather than freedom, just as many shortcuts were made around 9/11 to ensure the public safety rather than public liberty. All in all, there are a handful of similarities, but for the most part, the two societies are distinct and will probably never merge.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Interesting...view on technology and how similar it is to today's society is a little scary.
I'm confused on why helicopters are disgusting...
nice use of the word starkly. I like it. I agree with your thoughts, I made some of the same points as you.
I agree with you on your comment about the sex in society and how much it has changes. I also agree with your technologic aspects as well.
dude i love your use of words, its like you go out of your way just to sound way smarter than everone else!
How are helicopters disgusting, exactly? I always thought they were pretty awesome.
Post a Comment