Thursday, April 10, 2008

Brave New World

What connections have you seen between Utopia and BNW? What seems good about BNW? What one thing troubles you most about it?

1. One odd connection that I saw was the use of a 'passport.' When Bernard went to New Mexico, it echoed the ideas of Utopia that trips can be approved by the government, but it seemed to be regulated in the same way.
2. Soma. How awesome is that? A drug approved by the government to make you have a good time seems pretty sweet. The only downside I see is that it is regulated by the government completely. However, if used appropriately, soma seems like some social perk the government can use as an incentive of production.
3. Conditioning. From an early age, humanity seems to have norms and behavior that is determined by the state. Although social norms are present today, there is much more of a choice. Bernard's character readily shows how freedom of expressions is severely looked down upon even if it is logical.

1 comment:

Frank said...

1. I can see how the passport idea is the same, but in my opinion the far more prevalent comparison is the lack of individuality in both societies.
2. I have mixed feelings on this one. It's obviously better for people to take soma than to resort to something like cocaine, but soma seems like just another way that the government controls the lives of it's citizens.
3. I agree completely here. The idea of the government determining how you will think for the rest of your life is very unnerving.